Thursday, June 26, 2014

Show and Tell: 20's Peach and Fuchsia Silk Piano Shawl

Last week I showed you the 20's cloche in my collection. Today I'm going to show you my other item from the 20's: this incredible silk piano shawl.



I got this beauty from Ragpickers. It was the last thing I got before I quit working there. Someone brought it in to consign and I had to have it. I was totally enamoured with the colours in it. It was being sold for $80 and I had no money at the time (poor university student that I was), so I made a deal with the owner to trade all of my remaining consignment items for it.



Truth be told I've never worn it out. I've always wanted to wear it over a black dress to a wedding or something, but I'm afraid of wrecking it. It's in pristine condition - none of the fringe is missing or in terrible shape and the embroidery is all in pretty good shape too!

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to wear it.



Lisa.xo


5 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous piece! A 20s piano shawl has been on my mind for awhile now. I'm often trolling ebay trying to find the perfect one for a good price : ) Hope you wear it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it called a piano shawl? Pretty. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are called piano shawls because in the Victorian era they were draped over baby grand and grand pianos as decoration. Because of their beauty, they were eventually incorporated into women's fashion as well and used as a cover up for evening wear.

      Lisa.

      Delete
  3. How incredibly beautiful!!! It really is in pristine condition and looks as good as brand new. If you don't want to risk wearing it out (I'd be the same way with a piece that old that had survived so well for nearly a century), could you perhaps model for a few minutes at home and do a quick shoot with it there before carefully tucking it away again?

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should do a photo shoot with it. Perhaps I'll make some time this summer and post the results on the blog! Great idea!

      Lisa.

      Delete

I always love to hear feedback from readers!

Check back or sign up for follow up comments! I do my best to answer all of your comments and questions right here!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa.xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...