Sunday, December 22, 2013

Outfits: Vintage Hudson Bay Point Blanket Coat

In what seems like a million years ago - the internet has a funny way of stretching out, or conversely, compacting time doesn't it? - I posted a Wishlist post about wanting a Hudson's Bay Point Blanket Coat. I wrote that post 2 years ago now, but I'd been on the hunt for one of these coats for much longer.
Sometimes I would actively search and other times I would forget and it would fall off my radar. Either way, I've been on the hunt for about 5 years total.

By no means are these coats rare, but it seems that most of the coats I've found for sale are mens, or I find a ladies coat and it's miles too big on me, or moth eaten. Or, it's just too damn much money and I can't afford it. All of these factors have kept me from buying one over the years.

Well two short weeks ago I finally found my coat! Strangely enough a friend of mine had it. He randomly texted me and asked me how much they sell for and I was dumbstruck!! We texted back and forth for a bit, he sent me some pictures and I made him a very reasonable offer. We met, I tried on the coat and it fit!! We made the exchange and I've been in coat loving heaven ever since!! (Is that enough exclamation points for you?!! Can you tell how stoked I am to have this coat?!?!)
I won't tell you this coat was a bargain, but he got a good deal and I paid less than internet retail. Win, win.



There is just something purely Canadian about a Hudson's Bay Point Blanket Coat. It's iconic, instantly recognizable. They are true collectors items, which are deeply tied to the fur trade in Canada's history. Coats made from Hudson's Bay Point Blankets have been handmade or manufactured since the 1800's. Hudson's Bay doesn't even sell these coats in the classic style with any regularity anymore. There have been a few special production runs, collaborations with designers and revamped coats with new looks, but the classic coat with that true heavy blanket wool has not been sold by the company since 2000.

Mine is from the 60's. I had originally been looking for a peacoat, but I love the hood and belt detail on this coat. It's much more feminine.



The coat is a perfect fit. And I just can't get enough of wearing it with my vintage racoon fur hat. I feel like a fur trader in it. And that's really what I love about fashion: that clothes have the power to transform us, let us assume different identities.









Vintage Raccoon Fur Hat: Gift Shop at The Canadian Costume Museum
White Knit Scarf: Ricki's
60's Hudson Bay Point Blanket Coat: bought from a friend
Black Leather Mittens: Danier Leather
Black Skinny Jean: Forever 21
Black Leather Riding Boots: thrifted, Salvation Army
Green Purse: Claudia Firenze

Lisa.xo



11 comments:

  1. Oh lovely! I had to look up Hudson Bay Point blankets (not something one learns about in California!) and it's really a lovely bit of history to have for onesself, I can see why you're delighted to have the coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a bit of a holy grail for me the past few years. I'm excited to finally own one.

      Lisa.

      Delete
  2. This post made my Canadian heart swell with pride and happiness! I love that you and I have both been on the hunt for one of these timelessly awesome Hudson Bay blanket coats and am over-the-moon happy for you that you found one. It is an absolute beaut!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much. I know how much you love Canadiana and I have to admit, I was excited for you to see this post. :)
      Keep looking honey! I'm sure there is a coat out there with your name on it! The hunt is half the fun right?

      Lisa.

      Delete
  3. Loving the coat and you look super cute in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love the hat and wearing fur here where its so cold is not a no-no. Plus it's incredibly warm.

      Lisa.

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting a coat in this vein for awhile now, but not nearly as long as you! I adore this version, especially the hood!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had originally been looking for a peacoat and hoping I could find one that was a bit shorter. I'm only 5'3" and *nothing* coming across my path was right - almost everything was too large. I did find a ladies small peacoat once, but was really moth eaten on the inside and the lady wanted far too much money for it, so I passed.
      This coat won my heart though, I love the hood and the length is keeping my bum warm in our frosty weather. So I don't mind it!

      Lisa.

      Delete
  5. Score! I've always wanted one too, except I'd like the longer belted woman's one. I worked for the Bay years ago and they had these retro ones in the back cupboard for special events - am dreaming of raiding that cupboard today! Since moving to France I've wanted one even more lately - in fact I was looking for them on Ebay and Etsy lately and the long version is not easy to find, nor is it cheap. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang! I might have to put looking for one back on my thrift list. The jacket looks so lovely on you and it fits so well. I love the next post on the history of the point blanket so many great vintage photos and inspiration. The 2014 Olympic collection has a nice red duffle coat in it....still $300....urgh one day:P

    ReplyDelete
  7. All you need now is a curling sweater and yr all done...Merry Christmasssss.....

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear feedback from readers!

Check back or sign up for follow up comments! I do my best to answer all of your comments and questions right here!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa.xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...