Friday, December 12, 2014

Friday Link Love #15


  • Now that my hair is shorter I've been curling it almost every day, but I use hot sticks to style my hair because I don't like sleeping on pin curls. Regardless, I couldn't help but share these incredible posts from Lavender & Twill on Pin Curling: 
               - Basics of Pin Curls
               - The Curl Brush Out & Styling (totally applicable to hot stick sets like mine)


  • I used to think feminist was a dirty word. Recently, I've started to change my mind. The pinup and rockabilly culture weigh in. Read a great interview at The Rockabilly Socialite and this fabulous post at A Little Pin Up Every Day
  • Fun! 100 Years of Beauty in 1 Minute.


Have a great weekend everyone!

Lisa.xo

3 comments:

  1. Your comment about not wanting to sleep on pin curls nudges me to make an embarrassing confession. Even though my hair is too short for hair-curlers, I wear and sleep in them just for the experience. A tangible, sensory reminder of feminine grooming that oddly makes me feel good.

    I was a big feminist activist in the Eighties. The label is loaded, however, and turns many off so instead of using it, I pose a simple question: Do you support making women's lives better? If so, your politics match mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand why you would wear and sleep in them for the experience! I've also slept on those sponge rollers - also bad in my experience. I've tried it and couldn't take it, so I had to find other alternatives for curling my hair appropriately.

    'Feminist' is SUCH a loaded word. I've been very interested in the debate about it recently.
    I do support making women's lives better. That is such an incredible way to approach the topic. I may borrow that phrase for future conversations.

    Thank you for the thought provoking comment Ally! Have a great weekend!
    Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so lucky that your hair will hold a curl from a heat set, dear gal. My natural hair, which was bone straight and very, very fine could not, no matter what I did hold a heat set curl (or a perm for that matter). Wet set with setting lotion was my only option, so that meant pin curls, rag curlers, or foam rollers if I wanted waves or curls. It did take more time for sure, but I tried to remind myself that it was how our foremothers all did it, and that usually helped if my arms were getting tired or my sleep was extra bumpy - quite literally! :)

    Have a stellar weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear feedback from readers!

Check back or sign up for follow up comments! I do my best to answer all of your comments and questions right here!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa.xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...