Thursday, May 15, 2014

Confessions of a Vintage Addict

Yup. I bought some clothes. *sigh*

It was a little relapse...ok, two little relapses...one leading to the other. 


I'm back on the no shopping train again. For reals this time. 


It started with a yard sale last weekend in my neighbourhood. The cardboard sign with the words written in black sharpie scrawled across it reading "Vintage Sale" was too hard for me to resist...it was only 3 blocks from my house. I resisted that sign for 3 days and on the fourth day I submitted to the urge and went. At first I was relieved to find the house (the sale was inside) full of housewares - those I admire, but easily resist. Then I got talking to the couple hosting the sale. I asked if they had any clothes for sale, they said "no". I was secretly relieved. Then one of them said "Oh! but wait, we have some hats in the basement". All I thought was "crap!" 

So they brought up a box full of lovely hats and a pair of amazing full length lurex glove. I had $17 in my wallet, picked my favs and offered him the sum. 

This is what I came home with:

A 50's turquoise and brown sequinned Juliet cap, a 50's turquoise feather headband and, of course, the lurex gloves!

I forgave myself the purchase, considering the bargain and decided that would be the last of it - one tiny little slip. But like any good addict, these accessories were only the gateway to a larger purchase I made yesterday at the grand opening of the Echange Uporium Pop Up Shop. Patti Henderson has her incredible wares on sale there and again I couldn't resist. 

I broke down and bought another dress. 

Incredibly light cotton early 60's floral border print dress. Fits me like a glove. 


The adrenaline rush after shopping was palpable. Followed by a strange, heady mix of guilt and excitement over my purchase. 



Hello, my name is Lisa and I'm a vintage-aholic. *sigh*


Lisa.xo


10 comments:

  1. Ooohh!! Pretty haul. I don't think we should beat ourselves up over spending on things we love. I know people who spend a quarter-million dollars on boats they barely use. We're allowed to spend a few hundred on clothes we love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I honestly needed to hear that.

      I think my brain collapsed when I read quarter of a mill on a boat they barely use...it's beyond my comprehension! lol!

      Lisa.

      Delete
  2. Ooooooh, Loving the Lurex Gloves. I've been on a roll lately, as well. Can't get enough of the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they pretty!! I had to have them, but I have no idea when I'm gonna wear them either! lol!

      Clearly I can't get enough of the hunt either!

      Lisa.

      Delete
  3. ha ha I went to that same garage sale last week. The glassware was not 100% my style so I was glad I didn't splurge at that sale. Is it worth it for me to make my way downtown again to visit the pop-up? I might just list the purse I wanted to trade on my etsy shop and save me the temptation at least for a week or two:P You can reply back to e-mail is case I don't read what you write here:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. who could resist those wonderful head pieces ... love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hi, Lisa!" :)

    You're not alone, nor are you an addict, you're a stylish (immensely so) gal with a great eye and killer ability to find a deal. These purchases are beautiful and the accessories are very well priced. It was wise of you to pounce on them then, as one truly never knows when the next chance at such a deal on vintage will come along.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good buys miss! Yes, I'm a shopaholic too - embrace it! P x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a beautiful dress! I can totally understand that rush (and then the guilt!) But you'll look so stunning in it, totally worth it in my books :)

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear feedback from readers!

Check back or sign up for follow up comments! I do my best to answer all of your comments and questions right here!

Thanks for sharing!!

Lisa.xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...